New York, NY (September 24, 2020) – AMC Networks President of SVOD Miguel Penella is expanding his role, adding AMC+ to the portfolio of subscription video on demand services he oversees, which includes Acorn TV, Shudder, Sundance Now and UMC. Shudder recently became the second of AMC Networks’ targeted SVOD services to surpass the one million subscriber milestone, following Acorn TV which reached that mark last September.
“Miguel is a seasoned executive with an extensive track record building successful SVOD products and brands and under his leadership our targeted SVOD services have had tremendous growth,” said Ed Carroll, AMC Networks Chief Operating Officer. “We look forward to Miguel bringing his vision and deep expertise to AMC+ as we accelerate our ability to serve fans of our shows by embracing the new ways they are consuming our content.”
AMC+ is a new offering that brings together the best content from AMC Networks’ suite of premium brands. It includes original series from AMC and sister networks, ad-free with early premieres on demand, along with AMC Networks’ subscription video on demand services Shudder, Sundance Now, and IFC Films Unlimited, and also includes a premium linear network. AMC+ is currently offered to Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity Flex customers as well as to DISH Network and Sling TV customers.
“AMC+ is a collection of unique, premium content brands, centered around a legacy of groundbreaking and quality storytelling that connects with audiences, and it represents a tremendous growth opportunity for AMC Networks,” said Penella. “I look forward to continuing our history of serving distinct audiences with new content that delivers on the promise of the AMC brand to serve existing as well as new fans.”
In his role as AMC Networks President of SVOD, Penella is responsible for leading AMC Networks’ suite of fast-growing SVOD businesses that offer compelling and entertaining content that connect with passionate audiences — Acorn TV, Shudder, Sundance Now and UMC,. He joined AMC Networks following its 2018 acquisition of RLJ Entertainment, where Penella served as Chief Executive Officer.
The premium subscription AMC+ bundle consists of the following:
- AMC – offers current seasons of hit series from AMC and its sister networks like IFC and SundanceTV anytime, ad-free, including The Walking Dead and NOS4A2, plus extras including bonus footage, sneak peeks of future episodes and exclusive behind-the-scenes features.
- Shudder – with more than 1 million subscribers, Shudder offers fans of horror and suspense the largest uncut selection of series and films, including original hit series Creepshow and acclaimed documentary Horror Noire.
- Sundance Now – offers a rich selection of original and exclusive series from true crime to heart-stopping dramas and thrillers from around the world, including A Discovery of Witches, Riviera and Killing for Love.
- IFC Films Unlimited – offers a broad collection of theatrically-released and award-winning titles from IFC Films, the leader in quality talent-driven independent film.
- Linear Network – includes an ad-free linear channel with some of the best programming AMC has to offer.
In addition to Shudder and Sundance Now, AMC Networks’ targeted SVOD services also include:
- Acorn TV – Acorn is North America’s largest streaming service specializing in British and international television with over 1 million paid subscribers in the U.S and Canada and subscribers worldwide in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and Latin America. Hailed as a “glorious streaming service…an essential must-have” by The Hollywood Reporter, the fast-growing service adds original and exclusive new programs every week to a deep library of mysteries and dramas.
- UMC – the first subscription streaming service created for Black audiences, features a broad mix of original series, network TV shows, classic sitcoms, and feature films.
About AMC Networks
Known for its groundbreaking and celebrated original content, AMC Networks is the company behind the award-winning brands AMC, BBC AMERICA, IFC, SundanceTV, WE tv, and IFC Films. Its diverse line-up of popular and critically-acclaimed series and independent films include Killing Eve, Better Call Saul and The Walking Dead, which has been the #1 show on ad-supported cable television for ten consecutive years, as well as Portlandia, Brockmire, Love After Lockup, and the films Boyhood, Death of Stalin, and many more. Its original series Mad Men and Breaking Bad are widely recognized as being among the most influential and acclaimed shows in the history of TV. The Company also operates AMC Studios, its production business; AMC Networks International, its international programming business; the subscription streaming services Acorn TV, Shudder, Sundance Now, and UMC; and Levity Entertainment Group, the Company’s production services and comedy venues business. For more information, visit http://www.amcnetworks.com.