New York – October 28, 2004 – Mag Rack, the original on-demand television network will continue to evolve the category as it announces plans to significantly increase its original programming slate for 2005. Mag Rack’s aggressive expansion of its original productions comes in direct response to consumer acceptance of VOD and the demand for a next level viewing experience. New offerings, ranging from dance and cooking, to video gaming and music, will be unveiled beginning in first quarter 2005.
“When Rainbow launched Mag Rack in 2001, the concept of video-on-demand was at its infancy. Realizing the capabilities of VOD and its long-term potential we feel that making a bigger commitment to original productions specifically for VOD is the natural next step,” said Dan Ronayne, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Mag Rack. “It is more important than ever before to evaluate the category and to meet the changing needs of the consumer. Expanding our commitment to producing compelling content for our growing audience is part of our larger strategy to be the pre-eminent name in VOD.”
NEW PROGRAMMING UNVEILED
In 2005, Mag Rack will debut a number of new programs led by the January premieres of The Everyday Low Carb Gourmet and Let’s Dance, the first television program to offer world-class dance instruction in VOD. Mag Rack will increase its original productions for five of its most popular destinations: 24seven gamer, Guitar Xpress, Auto Access, Motorcycle Freedom and Wild Wheels. Highlights of these new initiatives include:
- Mag Rack is further expanding its successful cooking category with the launch of The Everyday Low-Carb Gourmet, the first television program dedicated to the low-carbohydrate lifestyle. The Everyday Low Carb Gourmet will feature quick, affordable, great-tasting and healthy low-carb meals prepared in by high-profile cooking experts from across the country. Each week, Mag Rack will prepare five new meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Every recipe from the program, plus daily cooking and dieting tips, will be available at www.magrack.com.
- Mag Rack’s Let’s Dance is the first television program to offer world-class dance instruction available at home, on-demand. Let’s Dance will offer beginner and intermediate instruction in a variety of dance styles including Swing, Tango and Salsa. Freestyle, Hip Hop and slow dance lessons are provided for younger audiences.
- Given the blockbuster success of 24seven gamer, an insider’s guide to what’s new and hot in the world of PC and console video gaming, Mag Rack will ramp up programming that helps viewers navigate and master today’s most popular games with strategy guides.
- An instant hit with viewers, Guitar Xpress, promises brand new episodes of “Street Licks”, an original series produced for Mag Rack profiling street musicians around the country. Guitar Xpress will debut a package of at least 8 new song titles in 1st quarter that are exclusive to the program, including classic hits from The Grateful Dead and Peter Frampton.
- For Mag Rack’s “Wheels” category, three new segments will debut per month on Auto Access, Motorcycle Freedom and Wild Wheels.
MAJOR MARKETING INITIATIVES
To further support the new slate as well as maximize awareness of the overall brand, Mag Rack will continue to launch innovative marketing initiatives that have become another trademark of the network. Among the first big marketing events for the new year will be the follow-up to its successful “A New You” promotion. Launching in January 2005, the second annual promotion will once again be fully integrated into Mag Rack’s new programming slate. 1st quarter of 2005, Mag Rack will launch a consumer promotion similar to its highly successful Guitar Face Contest.
About Mag Rack:
Mag Rack is the leading television network for on-demand technology, launched by Rainbow Media in 2001. Mag Rack engages viewers with over 20 core program categories about subjects that are personally relevant, such as Yoga Retreat, Motorcycle Freedom, Guitar Xpress and 24seven gamer. The service offers special interest programming not widely found on other channels with advanced ability to fast-forward, rewind or pause the program. Every month, 40 total hours of content is 100% refreshed, so there’s always something new to watch on Mag Rack.
About Rainbow Media Holdings LLC:
A leader in sports, news and entertainment programming, Rainbow Media Holdings LLC is a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE:CVC). Rainbow Media owns and manages national networks: AMC, Fuse, IFC (The Independent Film Channel) and WE: Women’s Entertainment; as well as the on-demand services: Mag Rack, Uncensored On Demand, World Picks On Demand and World Picks Networks. Rainbow Media’ s other businesses include its regional programming services – MetroChannels, News 12 Networks and Rainbow Sports Networks – in addition to the Rainbow Advertising Sales Corporation and Rainbow Network Communications. Rainbow Media is also a 50 percent partner in Fox Sports Net.