Critically Acclaimed Documentary Series Monty Python: Almost the Truth (The Lawyer’s Cut) Among the Programming Highlights
New York, December 3, 2009 – Rainbow Media has completed a carriage agreement with Singapore Telecommunications Limited (SingTel) to launch Sundance Channel and WE tv on mio TV, SingTel’s innovative pay TV service. SingTel is Asia’s leading communications group for voice and data services over fixed, wireless, pay TV and internet platforms. Today’s news marks the first Asian launch for Sundance Channel and the first launch of WE tv outside of the United States.
Beginning December 7, Sundance Channel and WE tv will be available to mio TV customers in both standard and high definition sporting Mandarin subtitles, with 24/7 linear and SVOD offerings. One of the programming highlights is Monty Python: Almost the Truth (The Lawyer’s Cut), which makes its Asian premiere on Sundance Channel’s SVOD service. The critically acclaimed, six-part documentary series features interviews with all the surviving members of the legendary British comedy troupe Monty Python – John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Michael Palin and offers a fascinating look at the Python phenomenon from start to finish.
"Rainbow is thrilled to be part of SingTel’s mio TV and we are confident SingTel’s subscribers will find the exclusive programming on Sundance Channel and WE tv to be engaging and entertaining," said Ed Carroll, Chief Operating Officer, Rainbow Entertainment Services.
"The Sundance Channel and WE tv are extremely valuable additions to mio TV’s suite of channels and will most certainly cause a buzz among lovers of independent films, live music performances, documentaries and women’s lifestyle programs" said Tim Carmichael, VP of mio TV, SingTel. "We are very excited about being the first platform to carry these channels in Asia."
Under the creative direction of Robert Redford, Sundance Channel (www.SundanceChannel.com) reaches more than 33 million subscribers in the U.S. and recently broke European soil with launches in France and Belgium. Its content features a diverse and engaging selection of films, documentaries and original programs. In addition to Monty Python: Almost the Truth (The Lawyer’s Cut), mio TV viewers will find original series such as Man Shops Globe and The Lazy Environmentalist; the premiere limited series 100 Mile Challenge; the theatrical special film presentation, King Lear starring Academy-Award® nominee, Sir Ian McKellen; and coveted indie films like Theater of War starring Academy-Award®-winning actors Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline.
Available in nearly 74 million U.S. homes, WE tv (www.WEtv.com) is the premier source for women looking to satisfy their curiosity with fascinating, original stories and entertaining, informative content relevant to key stages of their lives. Mio TV viewers will tune into such signature series as My Fair Wedding, Raising Sextuplets, Bridezillas, Amazing Wedding Cakes, and The Locator.
Select Programming Highlights:
- Monty Python: Almost the Truth (SVOD) – The birth of Monty Python. Join members as they tell the tale of how their lives and careers began post-WWII to the culmination of Monty Python’s Flying Circus. Interviews with Terry Gilliam, John Cleese, Michael Palin, Terry Jones and Eric Idle.
- London Live (Linear) – A fantastic weekly music series from the heart of London’s live music scene, featuring the world’s hottest artists of today and tomorrow. Recorded in London’s flamboyant, stylish and historic music venue KOKO, artists from the UK Top 100 Album Chart have been selected for London Live. Artists featured in December include: Kanye West, Lady Gaga, Lily Allen and Akon.
- The Lazy Environmentalist (Linear) – Helping the planet doesn’t have to be hard. In each episode, host Josh Dorfman seeks out environmental skeptics who are experts in fields as diverse as fashion, food, education, business and design, to persuade them that a green approach can easily meet the demands of their professional and private lives.
- The Day After Peace (Linear) – Launched in 1999 by British filmmaker Jeremy Gilley, the international film project Peace One Day inspired and documented the unanimous adoption by UN member states of the first-ever day of global ceasefire and non-violence: Peace Day, every year in September. Featured in the documentary are Jude Law, Annie Lennox, Peter Gabriel and Lenny Kravitz.
- King Lear (Linear) – The special film presentation of this famed Shakespeare tragedy stars Academy Award® nominee Sir Ian McKellan as a headstrong aging monarch who decides to divide his kingdom amongst his three daughters, depending on which declares their love the strongest.
- Theater of War (Linear / SVOD) – A behind-the-scenes look at The Public Theater’s production of Bertolt Brecht’s Mother Courage that examines the playwright’s life and ideas.
- My Fair Wedding (Linear) – In each episode, beleaguered friends and family members bring in a dream team to rehab a soon-to-be-disaster wedding and try to teach a demon bride a little class.
- Raising Sextuplets (Linear) – This series documents the Masche parents during their first sleepless year feeding, changing and caring for their baby sextuplets. Bryan and Jenny Masche are learning that being first-time parents to sextuplets is harder than they thought.
- Bridezillas (SVOD) – This reality series follows high-maintenance brides-to-be as they suffer the stress of planning, organizing, shopping for, and completing the last-minute details of their weddings.
- Amazing Wedding Cakes (Linear) – This original series introduces viewers to the incredible designers who push the boundaries of what wedding cakes can be – icing artists who astonish brides and grooms across the country with their fantastic, elaborate, delicious creations.
- The Locator (Linear / SVOD) – Inspired by his own experiences, this original series is about a man, Troy Dunn, who helps other people locate lost relatives, friends and other significant individuals from their past.
About mio TV
mio TV is the innovative digital pay TV service offering from SingTel. Launched in July 2007, the service offers customers value and full flexibility to watch what they want, when they want. Within two years, mio TV has signed up over 100,000 customers. Currently, mio TV offers a total of 64 channels, of which 27 are on-demand channels. Content on mio TV covers a wide range of genres as well as Singapore’s largest range of video-on-demand titles and High Definition content.
SingTel is Asia’s leading communications group providing a portfolio of services including voice and data services over fixed, wireless, pay TV and Internet platforms. Together with its regional partners, it serves over 273 million mobile customers in eight markets. For more information, visit www.singtel.com/miotv.
About Rainbow Media Holdings LLC
Rainbow Media Holdings LLC is a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC). Rainbow Media owns and operates some of the world’s most popular and award-winning entertainment brands, including AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel, WE tv, Wedding Central and IFC Entertainment (IFC Center, IFC Festival Direct, IFC Films, IFC In Theaters and IFC Productions). Additional information about Rainbow Media’s multiplatform brands is available at www.rainbow-media.com.