Original Series’ The Locator Contributes to Strongest Viewership Ever in Prime Among Key Demos
New York, NY, January 8, 2009 – WE tv announced today record-breaking growth in delivery in primetime among Women 18-49 and Women 25-54, as well as in HH ratings for the 2008 calendar year. Delivery increased 39% for Women 18-49, 34% for Women 25-54 and 21% in HH ratings. The audience gains were due in large part to the network’s newest original series The Locator, whose September 2008 premiere generated a 1.0 HH rating, the highest-rated premiere episode for an original WE tv series. Throughout its run, The Locator more than doubled the viewership of WE tv’s yearly primetime average: HHs were up 133% (0.7 vs. 0.3), W18-49 up 72% (179K vs. 104K) and W25-54 were up 114% (212K vs. 99K). The Locator ended its first season with a 0.7 HH rating, making it the highest-rated series in WE tv’s history.
"2008 was a banner year for WE tv, with record-breaking ratings successes each quarter, from The Locator to Bridezillas and High School Confidential earlier in the year," said Steve Cheskin, senior vice president of programming for WE tv. "This success demonstrates that our original programming is resonating with women, among our core demographic as well as younger viewers. We’re excited by this validation of our strategy of bringing viewers smart, entertaining programming that inspires women and makes an emotional connection."
The following are highlights of WE tv’s 2008 performance:
- WE tv was the fastest growing cable network for women up 35% in W2+ delivery.*
- WE tv’s third quarter delivery, 108K W18-49 and 108K W25-54, was the most-watched quarter ever in the network’s history.
The following are highlights of WE tv’s original programming performance:
- High School Confidential: Among W18-49, High School Confidential was the most-watched original series premiere in WE tv’s history.
- My Fair Wedding: This series premiere averaged 305K W25-54 making it the strongest performing series premiere in this demo. The premiere of My Fair Wedding generated a 0.6 HH rating and averaged over 300K W18-49 and W25-54.
- Bridezillas: The network’s signature series continues to bring in new audiences. The fifth season premiere on June 1st averaged 408K W18-49 and 316K W25-54. The series ended Season 5 up 11% among W18-49 (265K vs. 238K) and 10% higher among W25-54 (257K vs. 233K) over last season. This was Bridezillas’ best season yet.
WE tv’s original programming performance continued:
- John Edward Cross Country: Best season of the series ever. Season 3 of John Edward Cross Country delivered the show’s highest demos to date: 111K W18-49 up 12% and 132K W25-54 up 18%.
- Secret Lives of Women: Season 4 was the best ever. Delivery increased 21% for W18-49 and 9% for W25-54.
Source: Nielsen Media Research. Based on Live Data except for The Locator numbers. *Excluding news and nets under 65M HHs.
About WE tv
WE tv (www.WEtv.com) is the premier source for women looking to satisfy their curiosity with fascinating, original stories and entertaining, informative content that is relevant to key stages of their lives. Available in nearly 72 million homes, WE tv’s programming gives viewers compelling perspectives on women’s lives that range from provocative to extraordinary, including signature series like "Bridezillas" and critically-acclaimed original documentary series such as "High School Confidential." WE tv’s public affairs initiative, WE Empowers Women, is dedicated to creating programs that foster and celebrate women’s strength, confidence and diversity. The initiative’s current focus is its WE Vote ’08 campaign. WE tv is available in HD and WE tv On Demand is available in 20 million homes. WE tv is a subsidiary of Rainbow Media Holdings LLC.
Rainbow Media Holdings LLC
Rainbow Media Holdings LLC is a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC). Rainbow Media is a leading producer of targeted, multi-platform content for global distribution, creating and managing some of the world’s most compelling and dynamic entertainment brands, including AMC, IFC, WE tv, Sundance Channel and VOOM HD Networks. Through IFC Entertainment, Rainbow Media also owns and manages the following: IFC Films, a leading distribution company for independent film; IFC Productions, a feature film production company that provides financing for select independent film projects; and IFC Center, a three screen, state-of-the-art cinema in the heart of New York’s Greenwich Village. Rainbow Media also operates Rainbow Advertising Sales Corporation, its advertising sales company; Rainbow Network Communications, its full service network programming origination and distribution company; and 11 Penn TV, a company that manages Rainbow Media’s NYC studios and post-production facilities.