Smart Carb Gourmet Offers Easy and Delicious Low Carb Recipes Taught by Award Winning Chefs
New York – March 7, 2005 – Aspiring chefs at home can now get private cooking lessons on-demand from some of New York City's top restaurant chefs when Mag Rack, the original on-demand television network, launches Smart Carb Gourmet. Available starting March 10, Smart Carb Gourmet will feature nine of Manhattan's top culinary stars delivering step-by-step instructions to their signature, low-carb meals that are quick and easy to prepare, plus tempting to the palate. Smart Carb Gourmet is produced at the prestigious New York Institute of Culinary Education and features a special "Smart Carb 101" introduction hosted by Toni Senecal, entertainment reporter for WB-11 television news.
Smart Carb Gourmet will provide viewers with 10 delicious, low-carb recipe segments per month – recipes for four entrees and one dessert are updated weekly. Such delights as Goat Cheese and Spinach Chicken Roulandes, Braised Short Ribs of Beef with Farro, Pan Seared Striped Bass in a White Wine Sauce and Berry Gratin will be among the featured dishes. Each 10-minute lesson, presented in a practical, accessible manner, teaches viewers how to create an entire meal – from scrumptious appetizers, delectable main courses and irresistible desserts and snacks.
"Smart Carb Gourmet marks the launch of Mag Rack's new slate of original programming that is 'TV for whatever turns you on'. Cooking shows are extremely popular, but never before has television offered New York's top chefs cooking up healthy cuisine at the touch of a button," said Cyndy Cecil, Vice President of Programming, Mag Rack. "We plan to support our on-air launch with promotions that tickle the taste buds of people in New York and beyond to help bring these pros right into our viewer's kitchens."
The program's culinary stars include:
- Marco Canora: (alumnus of Gramercy Tavern and Craft) now chef and owner of Hearth Restaurant;
- Rebecca Charles: chef and owner of Pearl Oyster Bar, home of New York City's best lobster roll, and author of the acclaimed book "Lobster Rolls and Blueberry Pie"
- Scott Conant: Chef-owner of L'Impero, recipient of a rare three-star rating from the New York Times, and James Beard Foundation winner for Best New Restaurant 2003;
- Alex Lee: Former executive chef of Restaurant Daniel (one of only five restaurants currently with a four-star rating from the New York Times), and nominated for best chef/New York by James Beard Foundation;
- Nick Malgieri: prize-winning author of "How to Bake" and head of the pastry department of the Institute of Culinary Education;
- Michael Romano: Chef-partner of Union Square Caf? and co-author of the best selling "Union Square Cafe Cookbook" and "Second Helpings from the Union Square Caf?"
- Aaron Sanchez: former Food Network personality and chef-owner of Paladar restaurant, where Hollywood meets Havana;
- Bill Telepan: Former chef of Judson Grill and author of "Inspired by Ingredients"
- Tom Valenti: chef-owner of restaurants Ouest and Cesca, and author of "Come in My Kitchen" and "One-Pot Meals"
"With Mag Rack's on-demand technology, viewers have the ability to pause, rewind, fast -forward and replay recipes, bringing culinary education to an exciting new level and allowing viewers to create healthy, delicious meals effortlessly and on their own schedule," said Dan Roynane, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Mag Rack.
Smart Carb Gourmet was developed in partnership with Brighton Entertainment and Ed Levine, author of New York Eats and New York Eats (More), as well as the upcoming 2005 publication, A Slice of Heaven: The Ultimate Pizza Guide and Companion. Added features include on-screen graphic depictions of ingredients, carbohydrates and calories will ensure that viewers have all the details they need to create delicious low-carb meals. A selection of recipes and shopping lists will be available on www.magrack.com to download and print.
About Mag Rack
Mag Rack is the leading on-demand television network, launched by Rainbow Media in 2001. Mag Rack engages viewers with over 20 core program categories about subjects that are personally relevant, such as Yoga Retreat, Motorcycle Freedom, Guitar Xpress and 24seven gamer. The service offers special interest programming not widely found on other channels with advanced ability to fast-forward, rewind or pause the program. Every month, 40 total hours of content is 100% refreshed, so there's always something new to watch on Mag Rack.
About Rainbow Media Holdings LLC:
A leader in sports, news and entertainment programming, Rainbow Media Holdings LLC is a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE:CVC). Rainbow Media owns and manages national networks: AMC, Fuse, The Independent Film Channel (IFC) and WE: Women's Entertainment; as well as the on-demand services: Mag Rack, sportskool, IFC Films On Demand, Uncensored On Demand, World Picks On Demand, and World Picks Networks. Rainbow Media's other businesses include its regional programming services – MetroChannels, News 12 Networks and Rainbow Sports Networks – in addition to the Rainbow Advertising Sales Corporation and Rainbow Network Communications. Rainbow Media is also a 50 percent partner in Fox Sports Net.