It has been nearly a dozen years since Pete Rose accepted a lifetime ban from baseball with the condition he could apply for reinstatement after a year. However, Rose is still on the outside looking in and talks candidly on Fox Sports Net's latest installment of the documentary series BEYOND THE GLORY this Sunday, July 8 at 8:00 PM local time about the effects the ban has had on his life and his family.
For the first time ever the Rose legal team opens up the files and reveals the defense that was never made and explains recent attempts between their attorneys and Major League Baseball to bring this sad chapter of baseball history to some sort of closure.
Known now for his off the field exploits as much as anything he's done on the field, this episode provides insight to the man behind the headlines by talking to family, friends, colleagues and critics. With two sides to this story, BEYOND THE GLORY has spoken to key participants from both and allowed them the opportunity to see and respond to specific points of contention. People interviewed besides Rose for this episode include:
- Former MLB commissioner Fay Vincent
- The special prosecutor who investigated Rose, John Dowd
- The bookie who turned Rose into Major League Baseball, Ron Peters
- Rose's attorneys Bob Stachler and Roger Makely
- Gambling expert for the Rose defense, Dana Martino
- U. S. Attorney involved in Rose's case Sharon Zealy
- Television broadcasters Al Michaels andBob Costas
- Former big league managers Sparky Anderson and Dallas Green
- Philadelphia Phillies chairman Bill Giles
- Former player and coach Tommy Helms
- Friend and business partner Jeff Ruby
- Childhood friend Jerry Scarlatto
- Rose's ex-wife Karolyn and their two children, daughter Fawn and son Pete Jr.
- Pete's sister Jackie Schwier
Fox Sports Net reaches more than 77 million households nationwide and is a service of National Sports Partners, equally owned by Rainbow Media Holdings, Inc. and FOX. Rainbow Sports Networks incorporates Rainbow's 50% ownership of Fox Sports Net and Fox Sports National Advertising, and the ownership and management of Fox Sports Net regional networks in five of the nation's largest markets: Chicago, Florida, Ohio, New England and San Francisco.
Jay dela Cruz