FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – VOOM HD Networks (www.VOOM.com), television's largest and most diverse suite of high-definition channels has something for everyone. Available nationally on the DISH Network, VOOM HD Networks' channels provide breathtaking content that raises television to a new level of experience. The 15 VOOM channels offer great TV made in stunning HD and 5.1 Dolby® Digital surround sound, commercial free and 24-hours-a-day. Programming includes animation, family fare, movies, sports, fashion, music, art, travel, culture, video games, and news in an ever-expanding slate of new original programming. Details of the February 2007 program highlights are as follows. Photos are available to press upon request. Schedules are subject to change.
The hottest fashion, the coolest styles and insight into the luxe life from around the world
Single this Valentine's Day? Then spend your evening with ULTRA HD's special block of programming celebrating the one love of your life that will never let you down! Sole Mates: A Valentines Day Celebration of Shoes features the premiere of two all new specials as well as a new look at the best of the channel's past programs about footwear!
Kick Up Your Heels: A Full Frontal Fashion Special
Premieres Wednesday, February 14th at 8:00pm ET on DISH channel 9478
This one-hour special edition of America's top fashion program celebrates women's romance with shoes. Model/actress Beth Ostrosky (also known as the love in Howard Stern's life) is the guest host, with special reporting from Full Frontal's correspondents Lloyd Boston, James Aguiar, Christina Ha and Judy Licht. Highlights of this program include an insider's look into Glamour magazine's accessory closet; a trip to Ferragamo's shoe factory in Florence, Italy for a behind-the-scenes look at the making of a pair of high-end shoes; a feature on women's passionate attachment to shoes with psychoanalyst Dr. Gail Saltz; special interviews with hot shoe designer Stuart Weitzman and trendy new-comer Holly Dunlap of Hollywould; tips on how to shop for vintage shoes; and extreme shoe makeovers for three women who are making major footwear faux pas.
Behind the Label: Ferragamo
Premieres Wednesday, February 14th at 9:30pm ET on
DISH channel 9478
Host Judy Licht and the Behind the Label crew jetted off to Italy, the country that sets the standard of fine shoe making, to explore the empire of Ferragamo. Judy speaks with key players from this family-run business that has become a global institution. Viewers also get a behind-the-scenes look at the headquarters housed in a 13th-century Florentine palazzo, the shoe-making artistry in the factory, and the fields of their medieval Tuscan estate, Il Borro.
The first channel for the 70 million people with a passion for collecting
New episodes on Saturdays at 12:00pm ET on
DISH channel 9473
The second season of TREASURE HD's original half-hour series Magnificent Obsessions continues in February with more profiles of people who have turned their everyday interests into a passion that drives their lives. For these individuals, it's not about hobbies – it's about a lifestyle. This month the series will head into battle with Civil War re-enactors (2/3), fly high with a family of glider-plane junkies (2/10), spend Christmas with some people that are truly crazy about the trimmings (2/17), and explodes onto the scene with a fireworks designer (2/25).
Music like you've never experienced it on TV before: the world's top acts in high definition and 5.1 Dolby® surround sound
Talks with Dave Fanning: Peter Frampton
Premieres Friday, February 9th at 10:00pm ET on DISH channel 9470
Get ready for the Grammy's with RAVE HD's special half-hour interview with Peter Frampton, a two-time nominee this year. With his good looks, his monster hits of the '70s (Show Me the Way, Baby, I Love Your Way), and Peter Frampton Comes Alive! (still the top-selling live album ever), this legendary artist achieved a pop status that sometimes eclipses his continuing influence as one of the best guitarists in rock 'n roll. Dave Fanning's fascinating interview with Frampton explores his days in The Herd as "The Face of 1968"; his part in the groundbreaking band, Humble Pie; his work on George Harrison's masterpiece All Things Must Pass; his tour with school-chum David Bowie, and, of course, his acclaimed new album, Fingerprints. Immediately following the interview, catch an encore presentation of Frampton's Soundstage concert, which premiered on VOOM last September.
Dave Fanning's other guests this month include David Gray (2/16), the critically acclaimed singer-songwriter; and New Order (2/23), one of the most popular bands of the 1980s and a highly influential force in the alternative rock and dance music scene. Talks with Dave Fanning offers one-on-one interviews that give new insight and a provocative look into the work and careers of celebrated musicians. Host Dave Fanning is a legendary Irish radio DJ, renowned for giving U2 their first significant airplay and for hundreds of interviews with the world's most famous rock n' roll stars.
Stunning imagery and stories from the front line of the art world
Opera Lovers Take Note!
Beginning Sunday, February 18th at 12:00pm ET on DISH channel 9472
With its high drama and grand spectacle, opera is enjoying a huge resurgence in popularity. GALLERY HD will now present all the glory of opera in stunning high definition and 5.1 Dolby® Digital surround sound. Each Sunday, the channel will showcase a different world-class opera. The series will kick off on February 18th with Handel's Giulio Cesare, as presented by the UK's Glyndebourne Opera House. Sung in Italian, the opera stars critically acclaimed mezzo-soprano Sarah Connolly. Opera magazine says that "Sarah Connolly is surely one of the best Handelians today." The music is provided by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, the UK's leading period instrument ensemble. Next up will be Verdi's Otello (2/25) starring José Cura, who is ranked among the world's leading interpreters of Verdi's music. The production was recorded live at the Gran Teatre del Liceu in Barcelona. All the operas will include English subtitles.
Life on the edge with the adrenaline junkies of adventure sports
New episodes premiere Friday nights at 10:00pm ET on DISH channel 9476
Only a select few have what it takes to live the life of an action sports athlete. "Nomads" are those select few who travel searching for the most perfect spots, the best competition, and a place to make their mark. When they find it – they don't leave without giving it their all, proving their worthiness to the sport they love. This dynamic series follows these world class athletes, documenting the amazing locations and their death-defying feats of athleticism. This month's episodes feature heli-skiing in the remote mountains of Alaska (2/9); daredevil motocross riders performing in the streets of Louisville, Kentucky (2/16); and a professional freeskier who tries his luck with the dangerous sport of Base jumping.
The high definition channel leading the next generation of TV for gamers
GAMEPLAY HD PRESENTS:
GAMECASTER'S BATTLEFIELD 2142 INVITATIONAL
First episode premieres Thursday, February 15th at 10:00pm ET on DISH channel 9485
A true breakthrough for gaming on television, this original eight-part half-hour tournament series follows the frenzied combat between eight teams invited to compete on a pre-release version of EA's highly anticipated new game, Battlefield 2142, for the PC. The exciting game play was all captured using the Gamecaster Cybercam S2, a patent-pending camera technology that creates a 360 degree view of the "world" inside a game. This remarkable advancement allows a professional sports cameraman to shoot a video game tournament with the precision and fluidity of a real-life pro sports event. The tournament is hosted by video game enthusiast Sonny Sandoval, best known as the lead singer of the multi-platinum rap-rock band P.O.D.
The most extraordinary places and people on the planet
The Megafalls of Iguacu
Premieres Wednesday, February 7th at 8:00pm ET on DISH channel 9471
On the border of Brazil and Argentina rages one of the most spectacular secrets of the natural world – Iguacu Falls, one of the planet's largest waterfalls and a fearsome display of the raw power of water. Iguacu National Park is a biological hotspot for some of South America's most amazing animals, but this refuge is fighting for survival. Small, dedicated teams work tirelessly to guard it from the encroachment of poachers and illegal deforestation. Drastic action is needed, but it is a hard place to police. In the wet season, up to 300 individual falls drain from the hundreds of miles of surrounding forest. In this program, marvel at the beauty of the falls in stunning high definition, and find out if this magical place can be saved.
Eye-popping HD animation for all ages
New Episodes each Saturday in February at 3:30pm ET on DISH channel 9474
Catch five brand new episodes of the original animated series Pixcodeliocs this month on ANIMANIA HD. This cartoon, produced exclusively for ANIMANIA HD, follows a group of cyber-savvy teens as they battle to protect the Internet and the world from an evil genius and his dastardly pet cat from the future.
The only HD source for 24/7 news, sports, weather
Ecological and Environmental Challenges Facing America
Special reports throughout the month of February on DISH channel 9482
HDNews will take a high-def look at the ecological and environmental challenges facing America today. This special series will feature in-depth reports about rising sea-water levels on the Gulf Coast; the great environmental threat to Alaska caused by rising temperatures and melting ice flows; and how the destruction of wildlife and flora is causing global warming.
Live sports coverage from top worldwide arenas
SPANISH PREMIER LEAGUE (SPL) SOCCER
Airing on DISH channel 9477 – Check local listings for times
The World Cup's television ratings in America outpaced the World Series this year, introducing millions of new fans to players like Ronaldinho, David Beckham and Fabio Cannavaro. These superstars are all part of the Spanish Premier League, widely acknowledged as the world's top soccer league. WORLDSPORT HD continues its live coverage of the SPL through June. Prior to each match, catch La Liga Report, a half-hour in-depth look at the league and at news surrounding the sport's most popular stars. Specific schedule details, including updates regarding player line-ups and start times, as well as La Liga Report highlights, are available online at www.worldsporthd.com.
VOOM HD: Every Movie Fan's Dream
Hundreds of Titles for Every Taste, all Remastered from 35mm Into Stunning HD
The masters of movie horror in terrifying HD clarity
Six high-def premieres this month, DISH channel 9481
- Blade Runner: The Director's Cut (1882) – Directed by Sir Ridley Scott (Alien, Thelma & Louise), this film was a flop when originally released in theaters. However, it achieved cult status through re-issue on television and home video. The film stars Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer (2/3 at 1:45pm ET)
- Night of the Creeps (1986) – This film is a cult favorite and is not available on home video or DVD. It features special effects created by the award-winning make-up artist, David Miller, famous for his work in Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video. (2/4 at 5:15pm ET)
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) – Produced and directed by Francis Ford Coppola, this film is based on the novel Dracula by Bram Stoker. It stars Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins (2/14 at 8:00pm ET)
- Salem's Lot (1979) – This made for TV movie, based on the novel by Stephen King, originally aired on CBS in 1979. The movie stars David Soul (famous for his portrayal of Hutch on the popular TV series Starsky and Hutch and James Mason (a world-renown English actor). MONSTERS HD will premiere the entire movie, uninterrupted with bonus gory scenes. The new footage incorporates graphically violent scenes that were omitted from the original US broadcast, but distributed internationally. (2/17 at 12:15pm ET)
- A Return to Salem's Lot (1987) – This is the sequel to the made for TV movie based on Stephen King's novel Salem's Lot. It stars Golden Globe winner Michael Moriarty. (2/17 at 3:30pm ET)
- Christine (1983), Directed by John Carpenter, one of the most accomplished and influential horror and science fiction directors in Hollywood, this movie is based on the novel by Stephen King. It tells the story of an antique automobile possessed by supernatural forces. (2/18 at 6:30pm ET)
KUNG FU HD – All martial arts action, all the time
Kung Fu All-stars: Bruce Lee
A different film each Wednesday night at 8:00pm ET on DISH 9479
Bruce Lee is widely regarded as one of the most influential martial artists of the 20th century. Lee's films sparked the first major surge of interest in Chinese martial arts in the West and, though American born, he became an iconic figure particularly to the Chinese; as he portrayed Chinese national pride and Chinese nationalism in his movies. Films in this series include: Fists of Fury (2/7), The Chinese Connection (2/14), The Way of the Dragon (2/21), and Game of Death (2/28)
FILM FEST HD – A non-stop film festival for movie fans
All new high-def premeires! DISH channel 9480
- Cool World (1992) – From the mind of animation ledgend Ralph Bakshi, this film merges live actors with animated characters. A cartoonist (Gabriel Byrne) finds himself in the animated world he created; and he is seduced by one of his characters, Holli Would (voiced by Kim Basinger), who wants to become human. Brad Pitt plays a human who has chosen to stay in "Cool World" to serve as a police officer. (2/9 at 8:00pm ET)
- Slam (1998) – This film won awards at the Cannes Film Festival and the Sundance Film Festival. It tells the story of a gifted young MC trapped in a housing project ruled by gangs. Unable to find a job, he copes with the despair and poverty of his neighborhood by using his wits and verbal talent. (2/26 at 8:00pm ET)
- Basquiat (1996) Basquiat tells the true story of the meteoric rise of youthful artist Jean-Michel Basquiat. Starting out as a street artist, Jean-Michel is "discovered" by Andy Warhol and becomes an international sensation. The film was the acclaimed directorial debut of renouned painter Julian Schnabel, and stars Jeffrey Wright as Basquiat, Dennis Hopper, Benicio Del Toro, Parker Posey, Tatum O'Neal, Gary Oldman, Courtney Love and David Bowie as Andy Warhol. (2/27 at 8:00pm ET)