Monsters HD Ultimate Creep Show Kicks off October with the World HD Premiere of CREEP, the 2004 British Chiller Starring Franka Potente
Monsters HD's 24/7 Line-up Boasts HD-Remasters of Contemporary & Classic Fright Franchises including HALLOWEEN, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, THE EVIL DEAD, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, FRIDAY THE 13th, HELLRAISER, CHILDREN OF THE CORN, JAWS , FRANKENSTEIN, KING KONG & MORE!
New York, NY – July 2006 – Fans of horror will experience Halloween chills like never before thanks to VOOM's Monsters HD. Monsters HD, the first and only 24-hour HDTV network "dead-icated" to horror and creature features, will devote its entire October 2006 schedule to movie marathons starring the greatest creeps of all time, presenting over 740 hours of contemporary and, classic fright favorites all remastered, and broadcast uncut and uninterrupted in breathtaking high-definition. In keeping with the theme, VOOM's Monsters HD will commence its "Ultimate Marathon of Creeps" with the world network television HD premiere of Creep, the critically-acclaimed 2004 British chiller starring Franka Potente of Run Lola Run fame. Monsters HD is one of 15 high-definition television networks from VOOM HD Networks, available nationally on the DISH Network.
VOOM's Monsters HD works with major studios and smaller independents to restore and remaster the largest collection of contemporary and classic horror and creature features in high-definition. This definitive library includes HD remasters from studios including Universal (home of the original Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, The Creature from the Black Lagoon and
Through deals with smaller independents, Monsters HD library also includes seminal fright fare including John Carpenter's Halloween, Sam Raimi's Evil Dead, Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Peter Jackson's Dead Alive, Rob Zombie's House of 1,000 Corpses, George Romero's Night of the Living Dead, Charles Band's Puppetmaster and even Don Coscarelli's Elvis-Impersonating monster fighter, Bubba Ho-Tep. The resolution of the remasters broadcast on Monsters HD is double that of DVDs, and 5xs current broadcast formats. Films are also presented in Dolby 5.1 surround sound.
With the world television HD premiere of 2004's Creep, VOOM's Monsters HD is once again bringing a new creepy classic up to next-generation broadcast standards, a role it recently played in partnering with famed director Stuart Gordon on the restoration and HD-remastering of the director's cut of From Beyond.
In Creep, Potente plays Kate, a party-hopping student who gets trapped in the London Underground overnight after missing the last train. Unable to get out, she looks for back doors through the labyrinth of tunnels that connects the train system. But she also discovers a murderous cannibal that makes the Underground its home and preys on those unwitting souls that get trapped in the Tube stations overnight. With a small group of other victims, Kate struggles to survive this harrowing ordeal and get out of the Underground alive. CREEP's dark and forbidding cinematography earned raves in the genre press, making it a natural for re-broadcast in the detail-rich HD format.
"Halloween is the time when all movie networks try their best to create hefty marathons of the greatest in horror and creature-feature fare," states David Sehring, General Manager of VOOM's Monsters HD. "We know that Monsters HD's 'Ultimate Marathon of Creeps' will be the best-ever on television – providing the greatest monster stars, directors and films of the genre, all presented uncut and uninterrupted in the true-to-life HDTV format that will make rewatching your all-time favorites a true revelation. Many of these films have yet to be released on DVD."
"The fact that we start this cinema onslaught with the HD premiere of a great contemporary fright flick like Creep makes this a true treat for horror buffs," continues Sehring. "As with our work with director Stuart Gordon and From Beyond, we're enthusiastic about using our resources and technical know-how to bring genre-defining horror and creature classics to this next-generation broadcast format."
Following are some highlights from the army of monsters to be featured in Monsters HD's "Ultimate Marathon of Creeps" (further details/schedules/photos are available upon request):
- CREEPY CANNIBALS – Monsters HD's "Ultimate Marathon of Creeps" kicks-off October 1 with the world HDTV premiere of Creep. This dark and moody 2004 British chiller stars Franka Potente as a cosmopolitan "femme morsel" trying to evade a cannibal in the London Underground. The network will complement this premiere with other great people-eater offerings, including Chud 1 & 2 and Raw Meat, on which Creep was based;
- FOCUS ON PINHEAD – Including the first three chilling offerings from Clive Barker's demonic star of the Hellraiser series;
- MIKE MEYERS… is in the house – Thanks to VOOM's Monsters HD, viewers will have a crystal clear view of the mayhem this bad-boy dishes out in the first five installments of the famed Halloween franchise;
- FRANKENSTEIN REBORN in HD – The man-made monster is represented here in more than 10 HD movies, including James Whale's 1931 Universal classic starring Boris Karloff;
- KILLER KIDS – Movie lovers may never be able to look into their popcorn bowl again after watching the frantic antics of these creepy kids in 6 films from the Children of the Corn series;
- KILLER TOY STORIES – A toy chest gone bad with five films from the Puppetmaster series, evil doll Chuckie's cinema debut, Child's Play, and the equally double-creepy Devil Doll;
- MONSTER SHARKS – Spielberg's JAWS like your never saw or heard them before, installments 1 – 4 of this mega-bucks summer series in extra-visceral HD;
- MONSTER APES – Including HD remasters of the 1933 series kick-off KING KONG, and follow-ups Son of Kong, Mighty Joe Young and the Shaw Brother's 1977 variation of the giant-ape-gets-it-in-the-end tale, Mighty Peking Man;
- CREATURE FEATURES – Including all-star, drive-in theater era frights like Creature from the Black Lagoon, She-Creature and Humanoids from the Deep.
The "Ultimate Marathon of Creeps" on VOOM's Monsters HD, will also include mini-marathons including classic Wolfman, Dracula and Mummy films, along with favorites from the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street franchises.
About Monsters HD
VOOM's MONSTERS HD is television's first and only definitive channel dedicated to the popular horror and creature feature category, from the classic horrors of Dracula, Frankenstein and the Wolfman to prehistoric giants like King Kong and Godzilla, to supernatural terrors like The Evil Dead and The Exorcist, to the modern maniacs of Freddy, Jason and Leatherface. MONSTERS HD also goes behind the screams with Monsterama, the channel's original series hosted by Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. Monsterama focuses on every aspect of monster-movie mania imaginable, from Hollywood special effects, creature shops and monster make-up to the latest creature collectibles, conventions and upcoming theatrical, DVD and video-game releases. MONSTERS HD's Monsterama series has fright fans glued to their seats and drooling with delight with the eerie sights on display shot in stunning hi definition. For more information on MONSTERS HD please log on to www.monstershd.com. MONSTERS HD is one of the 15 VOOM HD Networks.
About VOOM HD Networks
The VOOM HD Networks are the largest and most diverse suite of high definition channels available anywhere. Produced exclusively in true high definition and 5.1 Dolby digital surround sound for distribution in the U.S. through satellite and cable operators, the 15 VOOM HD Networks carry programming in categories as diverse as sports, movies, fashion, music and art. The VOOM HD Networks are commercial-free and available nationally on Echostar's DISH Network. Developed by Rainbow Media to meet the growing demand for quality high definition programming, the VOOM HD Networks build on Rainbow Media's history of original programming innovation.
About Rainbow Media Holdings LLC
Rainbow Media Holdings LLC is a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC). Rainbow Media creates and manages some of the country's most compelling and dynamic entertainment brands including popular national and regional television channels AMC, fuse, The Independent Film Channel (IFC), WE TV, and three FSN affiliated regional sports networks managed by Rainbow Sports Networks. The company also manages Mag Rack and sportskool, two original on-demand networks; VOOM HD Networks, the largest and most diverse suite of high definition channels available anywhere; IFC Entertainment, its film distribution, production and exhibition division; Rainbow Advertising Sales Corporation, its advertising sales division; and Rainbow Network Communications, its full service network programming origination and distribution company.