New York, NY, December 17, 2020 – For the month of January, AMC+ offers subscribers a wide variety of critically acclaimed and commercial-free programming, including compelling new dramas, thrilling true crime, fan favorite franchises, and beloved films from across the company’s entertainment networks and targeted streaming services. Highlights this month include BBC AMERICA’s new fantasy drama series The Watch; the return of BBC AMERICA’s Doctor Who with its annual holiday special, Revolution of the Daleks; the new season of the hugely successful Sundance Now/Shudder Original Series A Discovery of Witches, starring Emmy®-nominated Matthew Goode and Theresa Palmer; Sundance Now/Shudder Original Series, four-part true-crime doc The Night Caller; weekly, full season binges of AMC’s hit Western series Hell on Wheels; and a celebration of the Sundance Film Festival from Sundance Now and IFC Films Unlimited.
Highlights for AMC+’s January offerings are below:
- Subscribers will have early access to BBC AMERICA’s new series, The Watch on Thursday, December 31 ahead of its linear premiere on Sunday, January 3. Subsequent episodes will debut on AMC+ and BBC AMERICA every Sunday. The Watchfollows an unlikely group of misfits, The City Watch, who come together and find the guts to save the world, surprising even themselves in the process. The comedic and thrilling series pits trolls, werewolves, wizards and other improbable heroes against an evil plot to resurrect a great dragon which would lead to the destruction of life as they know it. From lead writer and executive producer Simon Allen, the modern and inclusive series is inspired by the characters created by Sir Terry Pratchett’s iconic “Discworld” novels, including the captain of The City Watch Sam Vimes (Richard Dormer), the last scion of nobility Lady Sybil Ramkin (Lara Rossi), the naïve but heroic Carrot (Adam Hugill), the mysterious Angua (Marama Corlett) and the ingenious forensics expert Cheery (Jo Eaton-Kent) together with The Watch’s own idiosyncratic depiction of Death (Wendell Pierce). Watch/embed the full-length trailer available HERE.
- BBC AMERICA’s Doctor Who returns for its annual New Year’s special with the action-packed episode, Revolution of the Daleks debuting on AMC+ and BBC AMERICA on Friday, January 1. The Dalek-filled special will see a host of exciting guest stars including John Barrowman MBE, who will be reprising his role as Captain Jack Harkness, alongside ChrisNoth (Sex and the City), who will be back as the disgraced Jack Robertson. Dame Harriet Walter (Killing Eve, Succession) will also be making her Doctor Who debut for the special, alongside television star Nathan Stewart-Jarrett (Soulmates).
- The highly anticipated return of the Sundance Now/Shudder Original Series A Discovery of Witches, starring Emmy®-nominated Matthew Goode (The Crown)and Teresa Palmer (Hacksaw Ridge) along with Alex Kingston (Doctor Who), Valarie Pettiford (Being Mary Jane) and Owen Teale (Game of Thrones), debuts on the service with weekly episodes beginning Saturday, January 9. Based on the best-selling All Souls novels by Deborah Harkness, A Discovery of Witches is a modern-day love story, set in a world where witches, vampires and daemons secretly live and work alongside humans, hidden in plain sight. Season 2 sees Matthew (Goode) and Diana (Palmer) hiding in time in the fascinating and treacherous world of Elizabethan London where they must find a powerful witch to help Diana master her magic and search for the elusive Book of Life. In the present day however, their enemies have not forgotten them.
- Sundance Now Original Series The Night Caller, a four-part true crime documentary debuting Tuesday, January 19. The weekly episodes explore the legacy of Australia’s most notorious serial killer and those through whose lives he altered irrevocably, including his victims and the two men wrongfully convicted of the crime in a shocking double miscarriage of justice.
- AMC’s popular Western series Hell on Wheels will debut on AMC+ in January, with full season binges rolling out weekly. Set in post-Civil War America circa 1865, the series centers on former Confederate soldier Cullen Bohannan (Anson Mount) who sets out to exact revenge on the Union soldiers who have killed his wife. His journey takes him west to ‘Hell on Wheels,’ a dangerous, raucous, lawless melting pot of a town that travels with and services the construction of the first transcontinental railroad, an engineering feat unprecedented for its time.
- IFC Films Unlimited and Sundance Now celebrate the Sundance Film Festival with a lineup of festival favorites and award-winners through the years, including Boyhood, Camp, Sleepwalk With Me, James White, Me and You and Everyone We Know, Ain’t Them Bodies Saints, The Virgin Suicides, Heathers, The Babadook, Buck, Room 237, Weiner, Sleeping with Other People, Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry, Bad Kids, Band Aid, Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work and more.
Additional highlights by networks/streamers available on AMC+ include:
- Take a deeper dive into The Walking Dead Universe with content only available on AMC+ including:
- The latest seasons of The Walking Dead, Fear The Walking Dead and The Walking Dead: World Beyond – all available ad-free and on demand.
- The Walking Dead: Episode Diaries, an exclusive re-watch of Season 10 featuring never-before-seen interviews from the cast and creators, with new episodes available every Sunday.
- New episodes of The Graham Norton Show debut every Friday as part of a new season that’s already featured Samuel L. Jackson, Dolly Parton, Bruce Springsteen, Riz Ahmed, Miley Cyrus, Mariah Carey and more.
- Friday, January 8 – Tom Hanks, Emily Blunt, Jamie Dornan, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Nish Kumar, Jessica Chastain and Sophie Ellis-Bextor.
- Friday, January 15 – Anya Taylor-Joy, Regina King, David Mitchell, Robert Webb, Olly Alexander and Yungblud.
- Friday, January 22 – Keeley Hawes, Noel Clarke, Rebel Wilson, Ant Middleton, and M. Night Shyamalan.
- Friday, January 29 – Guests to be announced.
- The epic and visually stunning six-part nature documentary series, A Wild Year on Earth exploring the natural world’s most awe-inspiring seasonal events including migration, rebirth and transformation, narrated by Laura Carmichael (Downton Abbey). New episodes will debut every Saturday on AMC+ starting January 23.
IFC FILMS UNLIMITED:
- Notable films added to the lineup this month include the exclusive political thriller An Acceptable Loss (Wednesday, January 6) starring Tika Sumpter and Jamie Lee Curtis, Diane (Wednesday, January 6) starring Mary Kay Place, who received a Spirit Award nomination for her role in 2019, and IFC Films Unlimited Exclusive Donnybrook (Wednesday, January 13) starring Jamie Bell, Frank Grillo and Margaret Qualley.
- Shudder Original Hunted debuts Thursday, January 14 with an exhilarating, transcendent take on survival horror that blends primal violence with the timeless quality of myth and fairytale. The film stars Lucie Debay (The Confession) as Eve, a woman who encounters a seemingly charming man (Arieh Worthalter, Girl) at a bar, only to uncover his true sociopathic nature, sparking a dire, life-or-death chase through the wilderness. Directed by acclaimed French filmmaker and comic artist Vincent Paronnaud, co-director of Cannes Jury Prize and Academy Award nominee Persepolis, and co-written by Paronnaud and Léa Pernollet.
- Debuting Thursday, January 28, Shudder Original The Queen of Black Magic is an Indonesian language film following the story of childhood friends Hanif, Jefri, and Anton as they take their families on a trip to the orphanage where they grew up to pay their final respects to the man who raised them. But they soon discover that the secrets from their past refuse to stay buried. Directed by Kimo Stamboel (Killers), written by Joko Anwar (Impetigore, Satan’s Slaves) and inspired by the 1981 Indonesian horror classic of the same name, The Queen of Black Magic features gore and wild set pieces in the spirit of Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead II.
- International drama slate this month features three exclusive series with new episodes every Thursday: The Commons, dystopian sci-fi drama set in a familiar future starring Joanne Froggatt (Liar, Downton Abbey) with the season finale scheduled on January 21; Australian political thriller Total Control, starring Rachel Griffiths, also concluding on January 21; and British drama Cleaning Up, premiering on December 31, which follows a struggling mother who resorts to insider trading in order to pay her debts.
AMC+ is the company’s new premium streaming bundle featuring an extensive lineup of popular and critically acclaimed original programming from across AMC Networks’ entertainment networks and a number of the company’s targeted streaming services including Shudder, Sundance Now and IFC Films Unlimited, which feature content such as Riviera, Creepshow, A Discovery of Witches and Boyhood. Currently available to Amazon Prime Video Channels, Apple TV channels, Roku Channels, Comcast Xfinity, DirecTV, DISH and Sling TV customers, AMC+ features a continually refreshed new library of commercial-free content, including Mad Men, Gangs of London, The Salisbury Poisonings, Orphan Black, Portlandia, Soulmates and The Walking Dead: World Beyond, among many others.
AMC is home to some of the most popular and acclaimed programs on television. AMC was the first basic cable network to ever win the Emmy® Award for Outstanding Drama Series with Mad Men in 2008, which then went on to win the coveted award four years in a row, before Breaking Bad won it in 2013 and 2014. The network’s series The Walking Dead is the highest-rated series in cable history. AMC’s current original drama series are Better Call Saul, Fear the Walking Dead, Soulmates, The Walking Dead, The Walking Dead: World Beyond and forthcoming 61st Street, Kevin Can F**k Himself and Pantheon. AMC also explores authentic worlds and discussion with original shows like Talking Dead, AMC Visionaries and Ride with Norman Reedus. AMC is owned and operated by AMC Networks Inc. and its sister networks include IFC, SundanceTV, BBC America and WE tv. AMC is available across all platforms, including on-air, online, on demand and mobile.
About BBC AMERICA
BBC AMERICA is a hub of innovative, culturally contagious programming including the Peabody Award-winning series Killing Eve starring Golden Globe® and SAG® Award-winner Sandra Oh and Emmy® Award-winner Jodie Comer. The network is the definitive television home and co-producer of the most iconic natural history series including Planet Earth II, Blue Planet II, Dynasties, Seven Worlds, One Planet and upcoming Meerkat Manor, Eden (w/t), Frozen Planet II and Planet Earth III. BBCA transforms every Saturday into Wonderstruck, a weekly 24-hour destination for wildlife and wonder. A joint venture between AMC Networks and BBC Studios (the commercial arm of the BBC), BBCA’s influential shows such as Doctor Who, Orphan Black, and Luther, have attracted critical acclaim and earned Emmy® Awards, Golden Globes®, Peabody Awards, Critics’ Choice Awards, NAACP Image Awards, TCA Awards and more. New programming coming this fall and winter includes Top Gear, Baby Chimp Rescue, A Wild Year on Earth, The Graham Norton Show, CripTales, Doctor Who: The Faceless Ones animated special, Doctor Who: Revolution of the Daleks, The Watch and more. BBCA is available across all platforms, including on-air, online, on demand and mobile. Find out more by visiting press.amcnetworks.com.
IFC is the home of offbeat, unexpected comedies. Acclaimed series Documentary Now!, Brockmire, Sherman’s Showcase Baroness von Sketch Show, and Year of the Rabbit air alongside fan-favorite movies and comedic cult TV shows. IFC is owned and operated by AMC Networks Inc., and available across multiple platforms. IFC is Always On, Slightly Off.
About IFC Films Unlimited
IFC Films Unlimited is a subscription video on demand streaming channel comprised of theatrically-released and award-winning titles from its three distribution labels: IFC Films, Sundance Selects and genre label IFC Midnight. IFC Films is a leading distributor of quality talent-driven independent film. IFC Midnight features horror, sci-fi, thrillers, action and more. Sundance Selects focuses on American independent, documentaries and world cinema. Bringing together a broad collection of films that span across the labels and genres, IFC Films Unlimited is a general entertainment destination for specialty film fans.
AMC Networks’ Shudder is a premium streaming video service, super-serving members with the best selection in genre entertainment, covering horror, thrillers and the supernatural. Shudder’s expanding library of film, TV series, and originals is available on most streaming devices in the US, Canada, the UK, Ireland, Germany, Australia and New Zealand. For a 7-day, risk-free trial, visit www.shudder.com.
About Sundance Now
AMC Networks’ streaming service Sundance Now is for culture craving TV watchers looking for their next series to obsess over and offers a rich selection of original and exclusive series from engrossing true crime to heart-stopping dramas and fiercely intelligent thrillers from around the world, all streaming commercial-free. Exclusive new programs are added every week. Sundance Now has exclusively premiered several distinctive, critically acclaimed Sundance Now Original Series, including supernatural thriller A Discovery of Witches; glamorous thriller Riviera starring Julia Stiles; critically acclaimed French spy thriller crime drama The Bureau; and Swedish period drama The Restaurant, as well as Sundance Now Exclusives, such as British true crime thriller Des starring David Tennant; Australian drama Upright starring Tim Minchin; and Australian psychological thriller The Secrets She Keeps; and riveting true crime series The Suspect, The Dakota Entrapment Tapes, No One Saw a Thing and Killing for Love. Facebook: @SundanceNow – Twitter: @sundance_now
Since its launch in 1996, SundanceTV has remained true to founder Robert Redford’s mission to celebrate creativity and distinctive storytelling through unique voices and narratives found in the best independent films. From delivering critically acclaimed Emmy®, Golden Globe® and Peabody Award-winning television featuring some of the world’s most talented creators and performers, to showcasing some of the most compelling and iconic films across genres and generations, SundanceTV is a smart and thought-provoking entertainment destination. SundanceTV is owned and operated by AMC Networks Inc.; its sister networks include AMC, IFC, BBC America and WE tv. SundanceTV is available across all platforms, including on-air, online at www.sundancetv.com, on demand and mobile.